A GREAT BOAT FOR THE RIGHT OWNER:
- This is a fast boat… as fast as you will ever get for the money.
- The boat is solid and strong, and can take whatever you throw at it.
- Very narrow sheeting base and an IOR hull. You will out-point just about everybody else, and still go fast.
- In most local fleets, you will be in A-class, and have a shot at winning.
- Sleeps 6, in comfort, in single bunks, with room for two
more small people.
- Updated 3-battery electrical system 2010, with onboard
- Good performance-oriented instrumentation (Signet)
- It requires some skill to sail this boat fast, but with practice, it can win
- The new upwind sails are new and very fast. The 1/2 oz, 1.5 oz, and 2 oz spinnakers are in great shape
BUT, THERE ARE A FEW THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE YOU CONSIDER THIS BOAT:
- This a primarily a racing boat. Cruising amenities are limited, and separate cabins are not a feature.
- The head is functional, new, and easy to clean and work on, but
has only partial privacy
- The keel is 2 degrees off plumb, and apparently always has been.
The designer says this is not a performance issue, and does not require fixing.
- The interior non-structural plywood had some rot when I bought it.
It has been replaced with fully waterproofed voidless plywood, but it was an amateur job
and looks it.
- Universal model 25 engine is reliable and tough as nails, but
will need a new head gasket soon.
- The folding prop will need new bushings soon.
- The 3/4 oz is still fast, but rips too easily, and should be replaced soon.
NOTE: The boat has not been used since August 2010
- Main.... UK 2010 new condition. Two reefs (pictured above)
- #1.... UK 2009 excellent condition and very fast over 6
- #3.... UK 2009 excellent condition and a race winner over 20 knots
- Lt #1....North. Old and looks like crap, but it wins for us in 5-10 knots
- Drifter.... very old but still good, fills in any wind whatsoever
- Storm jib.... rarely used, probably an original sail.
- 1/2 oz spinny ... has some moderate wear, but holds a good shape.
We pass well-sailed boats who owe us time with it. Just keep
your AWA around 100. (pictured above)
- 3/4 oz spinny ... still fast in anything over 5 apparent and it can handle
a reasonable amount of wind, but it has a lot of wear and really should be replaced
- 1.5 oz spinny ... a race winner.
- 2 oz storm spinny ... we've had the boat over 10 knots steady with this thing.
- also a few "delivery" sails